Study in Ireland

Advertise With Us |  Add/Edit Your Listings |  Home  

Free Newsletter!   (info)

View our current newsletter.

General Information:
Study Abroad in Ireland
English Language Schools
Irish Educational System
Qualification Recognition
Application Process
Work in Ireland
Cost of Living for Students
Useful Information

Funding / Scholarships:
Institutional Scholarships
General Scholarships Info
Gilman Scholarship
Financial Aid
Student Loans

Tourism/Services Abroad:
Student Travel Agencies
Discount Cards for Students
International Calling
Mobile Phones
Health & Safety Abroad

Travel in Ireland
Airfare Specials
Bus / Coach
Car Rental
Public Transportation
  •  Ireland by Rail
  •  Ireland by Bus
  •  Dublin Transport

Visa Information
Entry Permits
US Passport Application

Faculty / Advisors:
Recruit US College Students
Programme Development
Grade Conversion Chart
Irish Educational System
Expense Calculator

Currency Calculator
Historical Rates
Euro Information
Expense Calculator

[ Home ]
[ Add/Edit Your Listings ]
[ Advertise With Us ]
[ Contact Us ]

Print this Page Print This Page

Visa Information

Visas in The Republic of Ireland:

Many citizens travelling to Ireland to study do not require a visa, The table below provides a list of countries who citizens do NOT need to apply for a visa to come to Ireland. If your country is not on the list you should contact the nearest Irish Embassy or Consulate in your country or apply directly for an application form to:

Department of Foreign Affairs
The Visa Office
13-14 Burgh Quay
Dublin 2
Tel: +353 1 4780822 (open from 14.30 to 16.00 Monday to Friday)
Fax: +353 1 4751201

Web site:

It is important to apply for your visa well in advance and allow 6 – 8 weeks for your application to be processed if you are applying from abroad. Please also note that, although applications may be made through the Department of Foreign Affairs, the decision on visa applications will be made by the Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform.

Transit Visas are required by nationals of the following countries who while not visiting Ireland have travel plans that include a stop-over at an Irish airport: Afghanistan, Albania, Bulgaria, Cuba, Democratic Republic of Congo, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Ghana, Iran, Iraq, Nigeria, Romania, Lebanon, Moldova, Federal Republic of Yugoslavia (Serbia and Montenegro), Somalia, Sri Lanka and Zaire.

If you require an entry visa for Ireland and would like to study here, you will need to present the following with your Visa Application:

  1. Copies of your educational qualifications.
  2. Letter of acceptance from a recognised school/college/university confirming that you have been accepted on a course of study. The course of study must be full time and have a minimum of 15 hours per week study time.
  3. Evidence that the fees have been paid in full.
  4. Evidence that you have sufficient funds to maintain yourself for at least the initial part of your stay .

Non-Visa requiring Countries
Andorra Estonia Liechtenstein Saint Vincent and The Grenadines
Austria Fiji Lithuania San Marino
Antigua & Barbuda Finland Luxembourg Seychelles
Argentina France Malawi Singapore
Australia Germany Malaysia Slovenia
Bahamas Greece Malta Solomon Islands
Barbados Grenada Mauritius South Africa
Belgium Guatemala Mexico Spain
Belize Guyana Monaco Swaziland
Bolivia Honduras Nauru Sweden
Botswana Hong Kong Netherlands Switzerland
Brazil Hungary New Zealand Tonga
Brunei Iceland Nicaragua Trinidad & Tobago
Canada Israel Macau Tuvala
Chile Italy Maldives U.S.A
Costa Rica Jamaica Norway UK & Colonies
Croatia Japan Panama Uruguay
Cyprus Kiribati Poland Vanuata
Czech Republic Korea (Rep of South) Portugal Vatican City
Denmark Latvia Saint Kitts and Nevis Venezuela
Dominica Lesotho Saint Lucia Western Samoa
El Salvador  

Please click here to download the Student Visa Requirements, set out by the Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform (Pdf).

Source: International Education Board Ireland

Visas in Northern Ireland:

The basic division is between European Economic Area citizens (European Union plus Iceland and Norway), people from other countries who do not need a visa to enter Britain (non-visa nationals), and people from countries who do need a visa before entering Britain (visa nationals).

The Home Office divides the categories as follows:

European Economic Area
If you are a national of a European Union country or are from Norway or Iceland you are free to enter the UK to study, live and work and you do not need a visa. European Union citizens face fierce competition from British students and also have to pay the same tuition fees of up to £1,000 a year depending on financial circumstances. Icelandic and Norwegian students have to pay full fees as international students, but do not need work visas and so can fund their course by working.

Non-visa Nationals:
Non-visa nationals are from countries that don’t require a visa to enter Britain, you can arrive with the necessary documentation and be issued the visa when you arrive. You need:

  • Proof that you have been accepted onto a full-time course at a UK school, college or university (totaling 15 or more hours a week).
  • A letter from your new school, college or university, on their official headed paper, to state that you have paid your deposit and/or your tuition fees.
  • Proof that you have the funds to pay for your study and living expenses. This could be in the form of travellers’ cheques in sufficient quantity to cover your expenses, a bank draft drawn on a UK bank, letters or bank documents from sponsors, or a combination of all these things. You will have to show that you will not have recourse to public funds that you can support yourself financially without relying on the British welfare state or by working to fund your studies.

If you are staying for longer than six months, your finances will be inspected much more rigorously. It is advisable to submit your documentation to the British Embassy/High Commission in your own country and get entry clearance (a visa) prior to arrival. Your status can still be challenged but you have the right to lodge an appeal and remain in Britain while your case is heard. If you were intending to be issued with a visa on arrival you could be sent back at your own expense. There are plenty of scare stories around, but this is unlikely to happen in practice unless you have done something that arouses suspicion. This might include travelling back and forth from Britain a number of times over a short period, appearing to have little money, or enrolling at a school with a reputation as a visa factory.

You can bring your partner/husband/ wife or children with you. However, they will require a separate student dependent visa, which they must obtain BEFORE they arrive (even though your own visa can be issued on arrival). To obtain this you will have to show that you can support them out of your own pocket. Remember that it can be very difficult to find accommodation for families and what there is tends to be expensive, so try and make arrangements before you arrive. Most universities can offer family accommodation, but space is limited. Be as organised in your arrangements as possible, as this will make you look more credible in the eyes of immigration officials.

You could also enter Britain as a tourist. In theory non-visa nationals can then apply to have it changed to a student visa without leaving the country as an in-country application. In practice this is not advisable as the immigration department is inherently suspicious of people who change the purpose of their stay while they are in Britain. You may succeed in getting your visa changed this way, but you will get a grilling in the process. Many people come to Britain on a tourist visa, and then look around for a school to enroll in. Be careful, because you could end up being deported if you are thought to have deliberately deceived the immigration department. The best thing to do is to apply for a prospective student visa in your home country. You will need to show that you have the finances to support your course and will be allowed to stay in the UK for a maximum of six months.

Visa Nationals:
Visa nationals need to get a student visa from their nearest British Embassy, Consulate or High Commission before arriving in Britain. In order to get this you will need to show the following:

  • Proof that you have been accepted for a full-time course (15 or more hours a week) at a reputable UK college or university. If it is at a language school it is preferable for it to be an ARELS or British Council accredited school.
  • A letter from your new school, college or university, on their official headed paper, to state that you have paid your deposit and/or tuition fees.
  • Proof that you have the funds to pay for your study and living expenses. This could be in the form of traveler’s cheques in sufficient quantity to cover your expenses, a bank draft drawn on a UK bank, letters or bank documents from sponsors, or a combination of all these things.
  • Immigration officials prefer a bank draft as this is the most difficult to forge and can be checked with the issuing bank. You will have to show that you will not have recourse to public funds. The longer your proposed stay, the more convincing your financial credentials will need to be.

You will need to get your visa, and bring it along with all the above documentation when you enter Britain, as immigration officials may wish to see on arrival. If you have been given entry clearance in your home country this is usually sufficient. However, your right of entry may be challenged if immigration officials believe that there has been a change of circumstances or you have not disclosed, or have hidden, some relevant information. In this situation, you have the right to remain in Britain while you lodge an appeal.

If you entered the UK as a tourist you will not be able to get your tourist visa changed to a student visa in Britain. You will have to leave the country, and re-apply for a student visa before re-entering.

Additional Regulations for international students (immigration, fees):

Address for the British Council:
Education Information Services
Information Services Management
The British Council
10 Spring Gardens
London SW1A 2BN

study abroad | college admissions | admissions | college search | scholarships | business scholarships | nursing scholarships | university scholarships | student aid | college scholarships

© 2009 | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy